Death, be not proud, though some have called thee/ Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so ;/ For those, whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow,/ Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me./ From rest and sleep, which but thy picture[s] be,/ Much pleasure, then from thee much more must flow,/ And soonest our best men with thee do go,/ Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery./ Thou'rt slave to Fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,/ And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,/ And poppy, or charms can make us sleep as well,/ And better than thy stroke ; why swell'st thou then ?/ One short sleep past, we wake eternally,/ And Death shall be no more ; Death, thou shalt die.
~Holy Sonnet X, John Donne

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Numbered Lists

So it is very late at night, and I cannot sleep.

3:31 a.m. precisely.

One of those nights where I decided drinking a soda around midnight really wouldn't affect me much... (For those who don't know this: I'm highly affected by caffeine. Every time I consume it. Without fail.)

Result?

Correct!

Late night and no way to end it.

But, a few exciting things happened tonight:

#1) I attended a Good Friday service at my church, the first one I had experienced there. It was grand.

#2) I actually knelt during the prayers during the service. This may not seem like a big deal to some of you, but it really was for me. Posture and position can have such an effect on the way people engage in worship, and for a long time I have felt convicted to kneel during confession and/or prayer time. Why the reluctance? I'm not entirely sure. Maybe an attempt not to seem hollowly pious? Maybe a general fear of the unknown reaching through my subconscious from a forgotten corner of my childhood? Maybe a fear of carpet imprints on my knees? It could be just one of these reasons, it could be all, but I overcame them by God's grace and knelt. Let's just say that it will become a common practice. Helpful much.

#3) China Wok. P-nut and I ate there after the service ended. Our family inevitably ended up there for several childhood birthday dinners, and other days when we just didn't have any food in the house. Nostalgia factor. Also: I've been craving Chinese food like crazy lately. Satisfaction factor. To top it all off, there was a strange family sitting behind us. Smelled funny, sounded funnier, reacted the funniest when I accidentally made a face at one of them. (To top it all off, P-nut mistook the mom for the dad; she did look a little masculine, it's true, but really? C'mon P-nut.) Funny factor. The food was awesome as well. It was the first time celery tasted good in my mouth... Gotta love those deep-fried-too-many-times-for-your-diet egg rolls. Heart failure all 'round! Fried factor. And I was out to dinner with my sister, which hasn't happened in a while, so that rocked. P-nut factor.

So:

Nostalgia + Satisfaction + Funny + Fried + P-nut = feeling pretty damn blessed.

#4) I found the only video game I'm even interested in playing: Crysis 2. Is this bad? I don't know. We'll see where it all ends up.

...

Well, this is certainly the most random post I've ever posted... But no one is perfect. And their blog can't be either.

Here's to imperfections that, praise the Lord, will be washed away on Easter morning.

Good night, and good sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment